Saturday, April 9, 2011

The Road to Damascus

Lou Marinelli once did a lot of work for the National Organization for Marriage:
Having spent the last five years putting all of my political will, interest and energy into fighting against the spread of same-sex marriage as if it were a contagious disease, I must admit that it is hard for me to put the following text into words let alone utter them with my own voice.

Whether it is an issue of disbelief, shame or embarrassment, the one thing that is for sure is that I have come to this point after several months of an internal conflict with myself. That conflict gradually tore away at me until recently when I was able to for the first time simply admit to myself that I do in fact support civil marriage equality.
It's an interesting read.
Ironically, one of the last tour stops added to the itinerary was Atlanta and I bring this site up because it was in Atlanta that I can remember that I questioned what I was doing for the first time. The NOM showing in the heart of the Bible-belt was dismal and the hundreds of counter-protesters who showed up were nothing short of inspiring.
Showing up with the puppets works, kids.

10 comments:

Hamish Mack said...

Blimey. That's some story. I hope it works out for him and he doesn't get attacked, though the haters he used to encourage will go incandescent.
Wow,a bit of hope.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Wow.

I was going to go with something "The Road to Damascus is Paved with Sault" or some such.

But a genuine conversion to teh bright side of life is remarkable.
~

Substance McGravitas said...

He's still conservative, so it's not a complete win, but credit where credit is due: the guy had a whole lot of stuff to leave behind when his opinions changed and he did it.

mikey said...

Actually THINKING about these topics and the arguments that surround them is not a popular passtime. Here's hoping that it catches on...

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

There's something to be said about confronting one's oppressors, and forcing them to look in one's eyes.

The NOM showing in the heart of the Bible-belt was dismal and the hundreds of counter-protesters who showed up were nothing short of inspiring.

Yeah, the mirthless minions of Medievalism really are a drag.

Dr.KennethNoisewater said...

Oh good. I didnt really want to comment until I read Power Point Presentation's thoughts on this.

TruculentandUnreliable said...

Wow. And he actually took responsibility for some of his shit and accepted that the LGBT community and their allies may still not be fans of his.

Dude had better be careful--once you start viewing some undesirables as fully human, it's hard to stop.

Substance McGravitas said...

I didnt really want to comment until I read Power Point Presentation's thoughts on this.

I got to mark something as spam for the first time! Exciting!

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

PPP's been making the rounds.
~

M. Bouffant said...

Let a cynic type:

The NOM showing in the heart of the Bible-belt was dismal [...] hundreds of counter-protesters who showed up

He just made a few calculations & realized on which side his bread is about to be be buttered.

Expect a re-dedication to a different absurd proposition very soon.