Monday, January 31, 2011

The Enemy of My Enemy Has Good Taste

Leigh Scott*:
The media, instead of being the check and balance to the system existing in direct opposition to it, have become part of it. Modern film critics, from the pages of popular websites and newspapers down to the trolls trashing movies from their basements, have become a de facto division of the film industry’s marketing departments. They don’t think for themselves, they don’t judge the film before them, and they certainly exist to reinforce the leftist stranglehold on the entertainment industry.
Surely there is some critic out there who is not spouting the communist party line. Right? Who do the other critics hate?
I don’t take the media at face value. Decades of being lied to have taught me to research on my own and develop my own, educated opinions. Is [Armond] White simply an Internet troll, purposely dissing what others praise in an attempt to gain attention? Or is he something more, a critic not only of film, but of the entire media? And, in what is truly relevant to Big Hollywood, what do White’s reviews and media criticisms tell us about the ingrained leftist thought in the Hollywood/Media complex?

My research revealed that White may be the last, best hope for real, intellectual film criticism left in the age of the Internet.
If you are not giggling this may help.

*Note that because I am a fiendish lying communist I have reordered Mr. Scott's writing in order to manufacture a punchline that he had the poor taste to ruin in his very first sentence.

6 comments:

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

I was giggling before I got to the rave review of "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra" by Armond White.

That brought the guffaws.

Does Breitbart's empire make him money, beyond the straight wingnut subsidy dollars, I wonder?
~

Substance McGravitas said...

I wonder about that too. When Townhall canned Burt he was getting $20 per screed. I'd be surprised if anybody except Nolte and tech guys were picking up decent cash, and maybe Mr. Scott is donating his writing.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Maybe it’s revenge for Franco-snobbery after 9/11.

Is he referring to the French correctly being skeptical about the dire threat to Freedom™ and Al-Qaeda connections of Saddam Hussein?

Talk about preaching to the dimwit choir...
~

Smut Clyde said...

in what is truly relevant to Big Hollywood
It is nice of the author to spell out the party line.

Dragon-King Wangchuck said...

No comment, had to type something because WV says "feessess".

Wait. I do have a comment. Armond White speleniged Lara Croft wrnog. FFS Armond, when you're trying to make an argument for the worthwhile-ness of fluffy action movies that are really just showcases of CGI effects - you could pay a bit of attention to them yourself.

feessess.

Hamish Mack said...

If one is correct in one's reading of A.White's reveiw of G.I.Joe then what is cool about it is freaaky animation that appeals to the murderous Childe Withinne. Righto.
But then he reviewed "The Illusionist" which appears to be a swanky French!!! animated film which he describes as However, fine as The Illusionist is, it’s too delicate and languorous for commercial success in the coarse, shallow Pixar era which is a sort of backflip. I think so, his prose style sucks.