Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Stompin' Tom Connors Lives

Goodbye:
Hello friends,

I want all my fans, past, present, or future, to know that without you, there would have not been any Stompin' Tom.

It was a long hard bumpy road, but this great country kept me inspired with its beauty, character, and spirit, driving me to keep marching on and devoted to sing about its people and places that make Canada the greatest country in the world.

I must now pass the torch, to all of you, to help keep the Maple Leaf flying high, and be the Patriot Canada needs now and in the future.

I humbly thank you all, one last time, for allowing me in your homes, I hope I continue to bring a little bit of cheer into your lives from the work I have done.

Sincerely,

Your Friend always,

Stompin' Tom Connors
Here's something I wrote a while ago:

__________________

Here is a man who looks and sounds a little like Popeye playing plain white country music. He's never had a great band or decent arrangements, but delivers song after song about working-class Canada with the same kind of verve and sincerity of Wilf Carter. Here's a song about getting smashed after working in a nickel mine:



Here's another about a daring man who delivers potatoes from one place to another AND SPEEDS:



I can't see too many reasons for those outside Canada to care about the man's contribution to song, but within the country he was a baffling anomaly: someone who gave enough of a shit about where he lived to write about it. Growing up I mostly heard fantasies about bigger things on the radio, the songs were of American cities and girls whether the bands were Canadian or not. It still sounds weird that he'd write about Big Joe Mufferaw - Paul Bunyan was a ripoff you Yankee bastards! - or a classy tomato from fucking LEAMINGTON. Go on, search the lyrics databases for Leamington. I dare you. And see if you can replicate the sick-making steel-guitar solo that ends that song like a mistimed punchline.

Tom's something of a cranky prick, constantly pissed off at the government for not supporting Canadian artists and at Canadian artists for following the money south. But he's Stompin' Tom, and he fucking stomps the shit out of the floor - a feature in the recordings - while he's singing about hockey and snowmobiles and tobacco picking and uranium mining.

Beats Loverboy.

9 comments:

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

Beats Loverboy.

With a hockey stick, hopefully.


Actually, I kind of like Loverboy.

There's a musician, originally from Madison, Pat MacDonald. You probably know him better as half of Timbuk 3. Nowadays, he plays solo, usually, and uses a stomp box for rhythm. He gets amazing sound from it.

veryshortstrawberyhotpantz said...

I've been crying off and on all night. It's like i lost my grandpa.

Dr.KennethNoisewater said...

What about Nickelback?

Substance McGravitas said...

Last I checked the federal budget included incentives for Nickelback to die.

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

I may have a problem, but I don't like Nickelback.

Creed either.

They may be unpopular stances, but I am firm about them.

mikey said...

The kid, as I understand it, is hot tonight.

Whoa. So hot tonight.

But there seems to be a certain amount of doubt as to his prospective location in the near future.

Now I must return to the salt mine.

Dr.KennethNoisewater said...


They may be unpopular stances, but I am firm about them.


Nobody wants to know about your boners, zombie.

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

the lady in that Craigslist ad seemed kind of curious about them.

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

zom-curious, you might say.