Saturday, March 16, 2013

I Am Totally a Programmer and Stuff

Anyone want to test a file for me?

It seems I can embed Quartz Composer files in apps that'll run on a Mac. This particular app requires sound input (thus far a built-in mic and a USB mic seem to work).

The top left window in the screenshot below is pretty much the deal:



Yes, a tiny window contains a crazy lady who accepts audio input a little like this. In this case, though, she's listening to you and your environs, and her eyes and mouth react to different frequencies.

I suppose I should do a little caveat here - given that I haven't let a program out into the wild EVER - and say that nobody with sense should run this, but I swear to god it's not doing anything other than reacting to mic input: it shouldn't eat your filesystem or anything, and any other potential functionality has been removed just to see if the goddamned thing works.

And sorry, word verification on. Poor blog's getting pounded.

15 comments:

OBS said...

This is relevant to my interests.

mikey said...

Yeah, the spammers have come out to play in large numbers lately. I can't imagine they make any actual dough doing this with blogs, but the incremental cost is zero so I guess you can't blame 'em for trying.

Don't got a mac on the network. Can you do an HTML5 version?

Substance McGravitas said...

Having taken this long to make a simple program, I think I should have an HTML version ready some time after my funeral.

M. Bouffant said...

The spam comes in waves down here.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

At least you don't have to wear a caveat on casual Friday.
~

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

Why would I install Althouse directly onto my computer? I get enough of her reading your blog, and Whiskey Fire, not to mention the occasional suspects.

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

The spam comes in waves down here.

at least it's not like love, which comes in spurts.

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

Imma turn on some kind of capcha or whatever WP has on MY blog, just so I can be like all the kewl kids.

mikey said...

I just kill the spam from the control panel. Better than captcha, which is annoying as hell - kinda like me when I'm in what most people would call a 'good mood'...

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

so far, WP has been pretty good at sidelining the spam. It takes care of most of it, then flags a few questionable ones, and occasionally I look at the comment boxes to see if anything got yoinked.

Lots of comments with squirrel-words. You guys like taunting me more than spammers do.

Substance McGravitas said...

Why would I install Althouse directly onto my computer?

Because she will sing Mekons songs for you.

Substance McGravitas said...

Hey, it's apparently not a universal binary. Who knew?

mikey said...

Only god can make a universal binary.

It takes a village.

Have pseudocode, will travel...

Dave Latchaw said...

Tried it with an electric guitar going in. Works fine.

Dr.KennethNoisewater said...

What's all the cocoa stuff? You into freaky chocolate stuff? 'Cuz I'm ok with that.