Saturday, October 13, 2012

A Possibly Useful Idea

Utility suggestion:
Sunday, 24 July, 2011
Make your caps lock key do something useful


I think that I use the the capslock key about 3 times a year - accidently that is. Having it on my keyboard all the time is just taking up valuable home-row space that can be used for something else. I'm certainly not the first to propose the idea of repurposing the key for a better use, but after seeing Google's chromebook notebook without a caps lock key (well, without a capslock key by default it seems) really motivated me to do something similar.

Here's how you can remap that key to something more useful on a Mac:
PERSONALLY I USE THE CAPS LOCK KEY ALL THE TIME.

Windows/Linux hints available at the link. The always-handy Windows thingie AutoHotkey can remap everything of course, with the advantage that you can just quit the program and everything goes back to what it was.

11 comments:

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

PERSONALLY I USE THE CAPS LOCK KEY ALL THE TIME.

I KNOW!

mikey said...

I used to remap the bejeezus outta the keyboard, but I ultimately found that every system I used was somewhat different, and if I got used to a particular arrangement and changed it hilarity (not the good kind) ensued. So now I just leave everything the way it comes and work within those limitations. It's ultimately MORE productive for me...

Substance McGravitas said...

That's why AutoHotkey on Windows is such a handy item. A script runs and it's one way, stop the script and it reverts.

Smut Clyde said...

Do you have a Autohotkey script on hand so that your keystrokes turn into the codes for inverted characters etc.?

Substance McGravitas said...

I use this, but a quick look at the source shows what all the characters are. It'd be easy to make one. In fact my office-mates might be in trouble.

Smut Clyde said...

In fact my office-mates might be in trouble.
Shirley you have already converted their computers to Cyrillic, or given them a German-style keyboard to see how they cope.

Substance McGravitas said...

Coping with me has thus far been The Practical Joke Without Relief.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

CAPS LOCK IS HOW I FEEL INSIDE

And bold...
~

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED IN THE NUMBER OF COMMENTS WITHOUT CAPS LOCK!

THUNDRA EVEN WORKED OUTSIDE OF THE BOX, GOING BOLD!

Smut Clyde said...

On my keyboard that key is labelled 'Majuscules'.

fish said...

You misspelled disappoint.