Tuesday, May 11, 2010

One Childhood to Rulle Them All

Michael S. Rulle, as we know, likes The Red Hot Chili Peppers. He's also concerned about some damned TV show I don't watch. What interests me is this:
I think Coppola’s Godfather series created the modern heroic Sociopath. We rooted for Brando’s and Pacino’s characters, although Michael Corleone became unlikable by the end of Godfather II. Coppola was the first to romanticize the familiar character of the gangster in movies.
I am sorry Mr. Rulle, I think some film that I SAW when I WAS YOUNG set the standard there.

Also, you can get with this:



Or you can get with that:



I am concerned that one of these candy-ass images is more sociopathic than the other but WHICH ONE?

10 comments:

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

My mom used to take us kids to screenings of old movies (ticket price: dirt cheap, movie quality: AWESOME!) when we were young.

Little Caesar

The Public Enemy

And lettuce not forget Humphrey Bogart
~

Smut Clyde said...

Doctor Mabuse the Gambler, sez I scornfully.

J— said...

We rooted for Brando’s and Pacino’s characters

I can only speak for myself, but I think the only character I really rooted for in the Godfather was Frank Pentangeli's brother from Italy because the poor guy has no idea what the fuck is going on.

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

If a "strike" option were available, my comment would be:

*STRIKE* Top of the world, ma! *STRIKE*

Bottom of the barrel, ma!

Kulturkrit implies a basic knowledge of the culture one is writing about.

Brando said...

Coppola was the first to romanticize the familiar character of the gangster in movies

Do these people have access to the Internets? The outlaw as heroic character goes back centuries. Including the original outlaw, Jesus.

J— said...

One Childhood to Rulle Them All

And in the darkness mind them.

Mike Rulle said...

However negative, thanks for the notice. I cannot believe anyone noticed the photochange or remembered my "Earthquakes are in a Girls Guitar" essay on RHCP's Californication (their favorite song). Cool

Substance McGravitas said...

Mike Rulle, you are welcome here any time. You might wanna buy a Big Book of Movies or something though.

tigris said...

Well, Mr Rulle seems to be a good sport, so: hail fellow, well met. He should definitely see the suggested movies, perhaps esp Dr Mabuse. There's also this thing called "literature" he might want to look into ;-p

zombie rotten mcdonald said...

Michael Corleone's arc through the movies pretty clearly illustrates Deming's idea that most people are subject to the system they operate within.

Anti-hero? Maybe. Heroic sociopath? I would argue against that.

But I could also argue that it is a clear demonstration of Kurt Vonnegut's phrase in Mother Night: "We are what we pretend to be; so we must be careful what we pretend to be."